Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A New Day

America spoke - we came together in numbers and voted for Barack Obama, our first African American President. I feel like a part of history.

I can't stop the tears and have to hold back the urge to randomly giggle. I do not feel cocky or boastful. I am thankful. I am hopeful. I am experiencing a huge gamut of emotion today.

We have some sour grapes in the office place today. I used to be like them voicing strong opinions about welfare and taxes - how people should "pick themselves up by their boot straps" and get a job. I was wrong. We are not all created equal and given the same opportunities. Many people living in poverty simply need to be shown the way.....we need more community organizers. We need to help the less fortunate. We need to stand up. We can make a difference. Yes we can!

As quoted below by President Obama, we need to pick ourselves up by our bootstraps and serve. I know from experience that when I volunteer, I am rewarded. It's an amazing feeling. I need to do more. It humbles me.

I can't tell you how many times my foreign friends have made remarks about our politics and choice of President. "How did Bush get re-elected?" The world was certainly watching this election. I received this email from my French friend today:

Subject: Subject: thank you American citizens!!!
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 22:27:36 -0800
You did it!!!! Tonight is an amazing day for America and for the entire World… We have to say THANK YOU friends, to have massively voted for Obama and to open a new page of the History…
(I cannot believe it happened, wow!!!)
Thinking of you
Bye
Béa

I feel proud to be an American but that is not enough as stated by President Obama, "Because loving your country shouldn't just mean watching fireworks on the 4th of July; loving your country must mean accepting your responsibility to do your part to change it. And if you do stand up, I promise you that your life will be richer, and our country will be stronger.We need your service, right now, in this moment - our moment - in history. I'm not going to tell you what your role should be; that's for you to discover. But I am going to ask you to play your part; ask you to stand up; ask you to put your foot firmly into the current of history. I am asking you to change history's course."

San Diego Volunteering:
Guide to Finding Volunteer Opportunities contains tips on exploring Volunteer San Diego's database of volunteer opportunities and how to find the program that best fits your needs and interests.
Guide to Youth Volunteer Opportunities - Volunteer San Diego has developed a comprehensive listing of volunteer and Service-Learning opportunities that have been carefully screened for youth volunteers to volunteer on their own, with their friends, or with family members.

Statewide and National Volunteer Organizations:
Hands On Network is a national organization working to build community through service and civic engagement by supporting an innovative alliance of volunteer management organizations across the United States, U.K. and other countries.
The Points of Light Foundation & Volunteer Center National Network advocates community service through a partnership with the Volunteer Center National Network. Together, they reach millions of people in thousands of communities to help mobilize people and resources, which deliver solutions that address community problems.
Volunteer Centers of California is an Association that works with a statewide network of 28 Volunteer Centers, such as Volunteer San Diego and their numerous branch sites to help coordinate statewide services in strengthening volunteerism throughout California. As a central point of contact, the Volunteer Centers of California provides a site through which nonprofit organizations, governmental departments, businesses and Volunteer Centers can collaborate on state, regional and local community service initiatives.
AmeriCorps is a network of national service programs that engage more than 50,000 Americans each year in intensive service to meet critical needs in education, public safety, health, and the environment. Since 1994, more than 250,000 men and women have served in AmeriCorps, providing needed assistance to millions of Americans. AmeriCorps provides trained, dedicated people to help nonprofits accomplish more and make more effective use of volunteers.

Send me your volunteering experience and you'll be "featured" in my blog!

Love to you all!

Nancy

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Nancy,

Thank you so much for offering our organization as a resource to others. I'm glad your volunteer experience has been meaningful. We appreciate your service and support. Thanks again!

Kelli from Volunteer San Diego