Sunday, August 10, 2008

Lavender Day

We will be planting about 20 additional lavender plants in the garden today. My husband is from Provence where it is ALL about lavender. His Mother often cooks with it. My darling french girlfriend just gave me a lavender sachel and soap last night as a gift from her recent trip to France. Merci Beatrice!

I've had good and bad luck with lavender. The climate here in Sunny San Diego is perfect, yet the soil is not. The soil in my garden is clay and lavender needs good draining soil. I have to compost like crazy and at times even throw the orginal soil away. I remember the soil in my Grandfathers garden in Lincoln Nebraska. It was rich; almost black. Anyhow, I've amended like crazy and will even add some cactus or maybe palm mix to help with the drainage.

When the plants mature (like the pic above) it will bring a bit of "home" to Jean Louis. Funny how the lavender here can be called French Lavender but it looks nothing like the lavender I've seen in Provence.

LAVENDER COOKIES
These cookies are probably better classified as shortbread.
1 cup butter2 cups sugar 1 egg, beaten 1 Tbsp. dried lavender flowers1 cup self-rising flour
Cream butter and sugar; add egg. Mix in lavender and flour. Place small heaps on greased cookie sheet and bake at 350F for 15-20 minutes or till golden brown in color.

Join Green Thumb Sunday
Join

3 comments:

Dilip Mutum said...

That's a lovely picture of your lavenders. Thanks for the recipe. I never knew that you could eat lavender.

Jean said...

The lavender picture is beautiful! Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Come back and join us for Bloomin' Tuesday! Jean

Rosemary said...

Love lavender good luck on all the amendments