Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Dragon Boat Races - Victoria, Canada

When our ferry pulled into the Victoria Harbour, boat races were under way. Now these weren't your ordinary boat races; these were The Dragon Boat races.













I was amazed by how many people were invovled; old and young. I was impressed by how much grey hair I saw!. It somehow inspired me (no not to grow my roots out). I saw this enjoyment for life a lot on my trip - older people engaged in outside activity. Maybe it's because they are indoors so much of the year? Who's to say? Again, it inspired me somehow. Who knows? Maybe I'll join a dragon team of my own! Check out the following site for a Dragon Boat race near you: http://www.dragonboatcalendar.com/



The BC Parliament Buildings in Victoria were constructed in 1893 by a young 25 year old creative architect, imagine that - just 25, by the name of Francis Rattenbury in honor of celebrating Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee.




The festival was in full swing by the time we made it to the tent area. Don't you just love these drummers! They were really good too! One thing about these dragon people: They certainly know how to have a good time. I would venture to say that I saw more beer drinking than paddling going on. We tried to order a glass of wine on the ferry on the way back to Port Angeles but the Dragon Racers had drank it all! Linda and I had to settle for a gin and tonic....darn!

No comments: