Sunday, February 1, 2009

Fontaine-de-Vaucluse

Fontaine-de-Vaucluse is a medieval village at the southwestern corner of the mountainous Plateau Vaucluse, 25 km east of Avignon. It is one our favorite places to visit. In the summer months, the streets are lined with tourists to get a glimpse of the mysterious bubbling spring which is the most beautiful color of blue-green that I have ever seen.
I'll never forget my first trip to Provence to to spend the Holidays with Jean Louis and his family. He took me to Fontaine de Vaucluse and I remember it being so cold. This Southern California girl was not used to the cold winters of Provence.

Personally, I like to visit this village because it has my favorite shop to buy Provencal tablecloths (napes). We buy a new one every time we visit. It also has a fabulous santon museum. The picture below was taken in the museum. (more on Santons tomorrow)


3 comments:

Barb said...

oh you lucky,lucky girl....Barb

Anonymous said...

there is a good restaurant on the left side of the river, we should go next time!

Nancy said...

ok Baby!